Sunday, October 2, 2011

My Experiences with Social Media



         Todays society is surrounded my many types of social media.  It’s common for most people to have either heard or used it at one time or another.  Not only do young people use it, a study from May 2010 shows that social networking usage increased by 88% among people ages 55-64 and it increased by 100% among users over the age of 65 (Jones, 2011). I personally have used MySpace, Facebook, and YouTube. I have heard of Twitter and Blogger but haven’t ever used it.  Currently, the only social network site I use is YouTube and a blog.
        
         Everyone I know either has Facebook or Twitter.  From 2005- 2008 MySpace was the most popular social networking site (2011). During that time almost everyone I knew had a MySpace including myself. I was in the process of earning my teaching degree and my professors were always advising us, as future teachers not to have a MySpace because employers had access and it could affect whether you got a job or not. So, therefore I stopped using MySpace and about that time Facebook took over. In May 2009 Facebook exceeded the number of visitors and overtook MySpace (2011). Everyone I knew no longer had MySpace and had switched over to Facebook. I didn’t use Facebook for very long because at the time I had just started as a teacher and was always too busy to log in, so I slowly stopped using it. Also, I began to hear stories from my friends with bad experiences with Facebook such as certain information being posted without their permission. Other experiences I heard about were about negative posts that were ruining relationships, so I figured the best way to protect my privacy was to stay away from social media networks. I really don’t see much advantages for myself using it, besides keeping up with old friends, which I can just text or email.  I guess the question would be, am I missing out or am I being smart by staying away from social media networks like Facebook and Twitter?

         A social network I have never used and would be interested in learning about is Delicious. It is the leading social bookmarking service. Through my research I have discovered that as a student and educator it definitely has some advantages. Some of the advantages include, organized bookmarks using tags, access to your bookmarks from any computer, and option to share bookmarks with friends and with others on the Internet (Delicious, 2011). It would save time to have my bookmarks available for quick access, so I am absolutely looking forward to using this web 2.0 tool.



Delicious Bookmarks. 2011. Retrieved from:  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/delicious-bookmarks/


 Jones, Jennifer. Grandparents are using Social Networks. Speak Media Blog. (2011). Retrieved from: http://www.speakmediablog.com/2011/06/grandparents-are-using-social-networks.html.

MySpace. 2011.Retrieved from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myspace

No comments:

Post a Comment